The journey of Indian Agricultural Research Institute started in the year 1905, and it became known with the name of Pusa Institute. A generous American, Mr. Henry Phelps contributes 30,000 Pounds and started the foundation of the institute in 1905 in Bihar.
The institute was well-recognized as the Agricultural Research Institute with its five departments as- Animal Breeding, Chemistry, Botanical Science, and Economic Micrology. Bacteria unit was later added in the year 1907. The name of the institute was changed to Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research in 1911 and was further renamed to Imperial Agricultural Research Institute in 1919. After independence, the institute was named as Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI). In the year 1958, the institute was given the title of deemed university.